Friday, December 18, 2015

Gmail SSL, bad start, and stress induced coma's

Wow..... What a day.

Started off late and it set the tone for the day. Cell phone died right in the middle of a tech support call with a spectacular customer of mine. I was on the road and didn't have my charger with me.

Got on site to another spot and was 5 minutes late. I thank the Lord for understanding people.

While on site I remoted into my other customers server only to find that Active Directory was destroyed due to a power surge and a dirty shutdown. They were dead in the water and I was 100 miles away. In the end I got them up to a working state, but not how I would like to have left it by any means.

It just got better from there.... At one point I swear my brain shut down and I went into a coma or was that auto pilot?

Anyways on to the good stuff:

If you own a Gmail account I highly recommend you turn on the SSL in the settings. Back in August of 2008 Some ingenious technological aficionados showed the world that it was very easy to hack Gmail accounts. Especially if you surf on an unencrypted network like the one at your coffee shop or the airport.

I won't go into great detail about it, but if you are interested here is a link:

http://www.hungry-hackers.com/2008/08/gmail-account-hacking-tool.html

To turn on SSL for your Gmail account do this...

Log into your Gmail account and go to settings (upper right hand corner)
Scroll down until you see Browser Connection
Choose Always Use HTTPS
Click on save button and log back in

I'm bringing this up because I was on an unencrypted network today and was thinking "What if the computer I was using had a key logger? What if my Gmail got cracked.. Well at least I got half of it covered with SSL"

This brief thought came between my stress induced coma and my coffee fueled awakening.

J

No comments:

Post a Comment